Are you looking for Spring and Different types of Spring? So, Today we will study Definition, Function, Application, Advantages, and Disadvantages of Spring and Different types of Spring. Here you will get the articles of Mechanical Engineering in brief with some key points and you will get to know an enormous amount of knowledge from it. So if you Find helpful this articles, please let us know in the comment box either if any correction required too also let us know in the comment box.
- A spring can be defined as an elastic member, whose main function is to deflect under the action of load and recovers it’s original shape when the load is removed.
- This is a mechanical component.
Function of Spring:
- To absorb the shocks or Vibration as in car springs, railway buffers etc.
- To measure the forces as in a spring balance.
- Apply forces in brakes and clutches to stop the vehicles.
- The function is to store the energy as in Clocks, toys etc.
- Control the motion as in cams and follower by maintaining contact between two elements.
Different types of Spring:
- Helical Spring
- Conical and volute Spring
- Torsion Spring
- Laminated or leaf Spring
- Disc or Belleville Spring
- Special Purpose Spring
1. Helical Spring:
- A helical spring is a mechanical device which is typically used to store energy and subsequently release it, to absorb shock, or to maintain a force between contacting surfaces.
2. Conical and Volute Spring:
- Both these spring types have specialized areas of usage where springs with adaptable rate according to the load is required. In case of conical springs, they are wound so as to have a uniform pitch while on the other hand volute springs are wound in a slight manner of a paraboloid.
3. Torsion Springs:
- The characteristics of such springs are that they tend to wind up by the load. They can be either helical or spiral in shape. These types of springs are used in circuit breaker mechanisms.
4. Leaf springs:
- These types of springs are comprised of metal plates of different lengths held together with the help of bolts and clamps. Commonly seen being used as suspensions for vehicles.
5. Disc Springs:
- As the name suggests such types of springs are comprised of conical discs held together by a bolt or tube.
6. Special Purpose Springs:
- These springs are altogether made of different materials such as air and water.
Application / Uses of Spring:
- Computer keyboards
- Appliances (toasters)
- Door handles
- Vehicle suspension
- Mini Drill
- Lock mechanisms: Key-recognition and for coordinating the movements of various parts of the lock.
- Pop-open devices: CD players, Tape recorders etc.
- Spring mattresses
- Buckling spring keyboards
- Upholstery: Upholstery coil springs
- Echo effect in electronic organs
Do you want to PDF? Join our WhatsApp or Telegram or facebook for Downloading the PDF.
Join our WhatsApp group: Engramritkumar Facebook
Join our telegram group: Engramritkumar Telegram
Join our WhatsApp group: Engramritkumar WhatsApp
Related Articles: Lathe Machine Operations | Lathe Machine | Mechanical Notes
Today we have learned about Definition, Function, Application, Advantages, and Disadvantages of Spring and Different types of Spring. If I have missed something, kindly inform me through commenting. If you like this article, don’t forget to share it on social networks. Subscribe our website for more informative articles. Thanks for reading it. Thank you.