Are you looking for the Laser Beam Machining? So today we will study the Working Principle, Advantages and Disadvantages and Application of Laser Beam Machining. Here you will get the articles of Mechanical Engineering in brief with some key points and you will get to know an enormous amount of knowledge from It. So If you find helpful this articles, please let us know in the comment box either if any correction required too, also let us know in the comment box.
Laser Beam Machining:
In LBM, Laser means:
Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
In this process, the Laser Beam is called as monochromatic light, which is made to focus on the workpiece to be machined by a lens to give extremely high energy density to melt and vaporize any material.
The Laser Crystal (Ruby) is in the form of a cylinder as shown in above figure or Diagram with flat reflecting ends which are placed in a flash lamp coil of about 1000W.
The Flash is simulated with the high-intensity white light from Xenon.
The Crystal get excited and emits the laser beam which is focused on the workpiece a by using the lens.
The beam produced is extremely narrow and can be focused to a pinpoint area with a power density of 1000 kW/cm2. Which produces high heat and the portion of the metal is melted and vapourises.
Application, Advantage, Disadvantage of Laser Beam Machining:
- This process is used for making very small holes.
- Complicated welding of non-conductive and refractory materials.
- Mass macro machining production.
- Selective heat treating of materials.
- This is used in surgery.
- Micro-drilling operation.
- Photography in medical science.
- Spectroscopic Science.
Advantage / Merits:
- Any material can be machined including non-metal.
- There is no direct contact between the tool and the work.
- There is no tool wear.
- Soft materials like rubber, plastic can be machined.
- Extremely small holes can be machined.
- No mechanical force on the work.
- Heat affected zone is very small.
- Heat treated and magnetic materials can be welded, without losing their properties.
Disadvantage / De-merits:
- The overall efficiency of the machining is very low.
- It is limited to thin sheets.
- It’s having a high cost.
- A very low rate of metal-removing.
- Life of the flash lamp is short.
- It is not possible to remove a large number of metals.
- The machined holes are not round and straight.
- Not able to drill too deep holes.
Do you want to PDF? Join our WhatsApp or Telegram or facebook for Downloading the PDF.
Join our WhatsApp group: Engramritkumar Facebook
Join our telegram group: Engramritkumar Telegram
Join our WhatsApp group: Engramritkumar WhatsApp
Today we have learned about Laser Beam Machining-Principle, Working, Advantages, Disadvantages, and Application, PDF. If I have missed something, kindly inform me through commenting. If you like this article, don’t forget to share it on social networks. Subscribe our website for more informative articles. Thanks for reading it. Thank you.