Lathe Machine Operations:
Today we study about the lathe machine operations performed by the Lathe Machine. Here You will get the articles of Mechanical Engineering in Brief with Some Key Points and you will get to know an enormous amount of knowledge from It. So You Find helpful this articles please let us know in the comment box either if any correction required too, also let’s know in the comment box.
Click this Link to know the lathe machine and Specification of lathe machine: What is Lathe Machine? and Specification of Lathe Machine?
Lathe Machine Operations:
3. Step turning
8. Taper turning
9. Thread cutting
So we will start from the beginning of the lathe machine operations.
All the lathe machine operations are carried out by single point cutting tools.
- The process of making a flat surface on a lathe machine is called facing.
- The job is held on a faceplate or chuck and the tool is fed at right angles to the bed to obtain flat surfaces.
- To safely perform a facing operation the end of the workpiece must be as close as possible to the jaws of the chuck.
- Tuning is the operation when metal removal takes place from the surface of the cylindrical workpiece. In this process, a tool is fed along the axis of the spindle.
- Turning is the removal of metal from the outer diameter of a rotating cylindrical workpiece.
- Turning is used to reduce the diameter of the workpiece.
and the Step turning is an operation performed on a lathe machine where the excess material is removed from the workpiece to obtain various steps of different diameters.
- Chamfering removes the burrs and sharp edges, and thus makes the handling safe.
- Chamfering can be done by a form tool having an angle equal to chamfer which is generally kept at 45°.
- The term grooving usually applies to a process of forming a narrow cavity of a certain depth, on a cylinder, cone, or a face of the part.
- The forming process is the process or operation where the workpiece is reshaped without adding or removing material, and its mass remains unchanged.
- In the knurling process, some serration(meaning: a tooth or point of a serrated edge or surface) is formed on the workpiece by deforming the top layer on the lathe. The rough surface produced by knurling is useful for providing proper gripping.
- The taper turning is a lathe operation for producing a conical surface by a gradual reduction in the diameter of a cylindrical workpiece.
- A thread is a helical shaped groove formed on the cylindrical surface of a workpiece. • Thread cutting is an operation performed on a lathe to produce threads by using a tool whose shape will be the same as that of the thread.
- Types of screw threads, Screw thread nomenclature, Lathe setting for thread cutting, Types of gear trains Simple gear train Compound gear train.
- Drilling is the process of making holes in the workpiece with the help of drill tools. The drill is held on the tailstock and the drilling operation is carried out by advancing the drill in the workpiece by rotating the handle of the tailstock.
- on a lathe, Drilling is generally done in the center of the workpiece.
- The process of enlarging the hole in the workpiece is called reaming.
- The process of removal of stock from a hole in the workpiece is called boring.
- Holes are bored by the single point tool. The cutting tool shaves off a thin layer of material to an accurate size.
- Tapping is the process of cutting a thread inside a hole so that a cap screw or bolt can be threaded into the hole. Also, it is used to make threads on nuts.
- Tapping is done with a tool called a “Tap”.
- This Parting process is used for cutting off the parts from the parent material.
- Feed is given in the direction perpendicular to the axis of revolution.
Related Articles: Why Magneto Ignition System is better than the Battery Ignition System
Do you want to PDF? Join our WhatsApp or Telegram or facebook for Downloading the PDF.
Join our WhatsApp group: Engramritkumar Facebook
Join our telegram group: Engramritkumar Telegram
Join our WhatsApp group: Engramritkumar WhatsApp
Please Leave the thoughts or feedback in the comment Box.