Are you looking for Power Plant Safety? So today we will study the Power Plant Safety-In Boiler, Oil Handling, and Chemical handling System. Here you will get the articles of Mechanical Engineering in brief with some key points and you will get to know an enormous amount of knowledge from It. So If you find this articles helpful, please let us know in the comment box, either if any correction required too, also let us know in the comment box.
Power Plant Safety:
Going towards in controlled and safe environment is not an unreasonable expectation for any worker. Many occupations, level of danger is expected because it is inherent to the job, but there is some more reason for the companies to take employee safety seriously.
The best organizations are those who understand that a safe workplace is not only the right things to do for their employees but also the right things for their better future and profit.
In recent decades, the power plant has made great strides that implementing their employee safety records.
This positive trend is partially due to increased oversight and government regulation but actually, it should be in compliance with the regulator and oversight committee.
The top performance in the power industry realized that implementing a safety program in the culture of an organization will not only benefit its workers but also will help them to become more competitive in the Marketplace.
It is realized that the cost of providing safety in very less than the indirect and direct costs associated with the high frequency of injuries.
The most common hazards identified are:
Direct contact with electricity.
Fire and explosion of boiler equipment.
Contact with hazards chemical.
In order to reduce the number of injuries in above-listed hazards the power companies and implementing advanced safety measures and giving suitable training to the workers and conducting safety awareness programme.
Safety observed in Power Plants:
Considering the cost and benefit of providing the safety in power plants the following safety policy have to observed in power plant:
- Demonstration of organization commitments to the safety priorities.
- Defining and providing clear authority and responsibility for every organization and employees of the power plant.
- Providing assistance and budgetary support for all safety activities.
- Scheduling regular workplace inspection. These may be a visual inspection of facilities, equipment, and the tool to identify hazards, physical deterioration, and defects.
- Work observation is developed as ways to monitor.
- Conducting courses and training on safety while they are actually working on the job.
- Providing well qualified and trained safety staff.
- Conducting regular evaluation of employees opinion about the safety program and safety culture.
- Implementing a safety audit for various safety regulation, standards, and codes.
- Developing real-time safety management information system.
- Displaying the safety posters at the dangerous places.
- Implementing the proper communication system to ensure safety in all the time.
2. Safety observed in Boiler Operation:
Following are safety practices observed in boiler operation:
- Good housekeeping for safety and good plant operation. Maintaining proper ventralization and fresh air circulation.
- Proper clothing should be worn at all the time. Avoid loose clothing and jewelry.
- Providing the boiler operating log book.
- The boiler operator is experienced and familiar with boiler accessories mounting and other safety devices.
- Investigate and identify the causes of any trip before attempting to start.
- Before starting the boiler, always purge the Furnace thoroughly and boiler room should be free from Dangerous explosive materials.
- Perform routine maintenance, calibration, and testing of the burner management system and combustion control safety device and transmitter.
- Verify that the water treatment system is operating properly producing boiler feed water of sufficiently high quality.
- Never allow using untreated water in a boiler.
- Blowdown all the dead legs of the low water tips, water column, etc., on a regular basis, to prevent sludge build up these areas.
- Verify that water living the deaerator is free from oxygen so that the deaerator is operated at the proper pressure.
- Maintain the storage tank water at saturation temperature.
- A Continuous vent from the deaerator is necessary to allow the discharge of non-condensable gases.
- Continuously monitor the quality of condensate coming from the process to enable the diversion of condensate in the event of catastrophic process equipment failure.
- Adjust continuous blowdown to maintain conductivity of the boiler water within required operating limits.
- Never blowdown furnace wall header while the boiler is operating.
- Boiler water side should be inspected on a regular basis. If there is any sign of the scaling for the build-up of solid on the tubes, water treatment adjustment should be made.
- The deaerator vessel and internal should be inspected on a regular basis for the sign of corrosion.
- Maintain regular preventive maintenance according to the manufacturers manual.
3. Safety observed in Oil Handling System:
Following safety practices followed in oil handling system:
- Displaying the information about oil handling hazards and way of handling and storing.
- Storing the oil in a properly Sealed tank either in open or in the ground.
- The tanks should be surrounded by oil tight Bond walls to prevent the leakage.
- Development of skills to the worker for handling the oil in case of leakage.
- Implementing the TQM for the production of tanks
- Before filling the oil in a tank, the proper inspection should be carried out to achieve the same quality as per the standards.
- If there are open storage tank, then the electrical equipment within the space must meet the appropriate safety standards.
- The fuel storage and transfer line temperature should not exceed 50 to 55 degree Celsius.
- smoking and carrying matches should not be permitted around the Storage area.
- Material safety data should be maintained.
- Non-Intrinsically, battery operated items example flashlight, mobile phone, camera, pagers extra are not permitted.
- Safety helmet with dark yellow in color with a name in front of the portion should be used in premises.
- Wearing of proper cotton clothes impervious gloves and safety shoes should be strictly maintained.
- A rated fire extinguisher should be provided around the Storage Area.
- Avoiding skin contact during transferring or maintenance work.
- Oil container should be labeled with all the information.
- All lifting machines, lifting tools and tackles brought inside the refinery should be checked against the quality standard required.
- Maintaining a pre-use checklist for the oil handling equipment.
- Immediate replacement of defective equipment.
4. Safety observed in Chemical Handling System:
Great care should be taken while handling the Chemicals due to dangerous hazards associated with mistakes in handling.
A Chemical safety data sheet should give information about chemical hazards and the safety measures to be taken and emergency handling procedure.
Following procedures to be followed in chemical handling system:
- Keep the work area clean and uncluttered. Always use adequate safety measures and never leave the following unattended:
- The ongoing chemical reaction in Laboratories.
Exposed sharps(needles, Razer blade, extra)
- Heating equipment.
- Name the chemical products clearly and display the company.
- Identification of chemical containers.
- Give complete information about the composition of the chemical and way of using and safety measures to be taken on containers.
- Maintain lean, well-managed chemical inventories to avoid fire code violation.
- Follow Chemical storage and compatibility guidelines.
- Post warming sign if there are any dangerous equipment and reaction.
Post a list of chemical abbreviation used on chemical containers levels near the lab entrance.
- Keep containers closed except when in use, including hazardous waste containers.
- post a list of personal protective equipment required for entering the facility.
- Read the safety data sheet before beginning the work with the chemical.
- Follow hazards control plan for extremely hazardous material.
- Never underestimate the risk:
Do not pipette by mouth
Navel smell Chemicals to identify them
Be aware of an electric hazard
- Electric panel is visible and unobstructed.
- Do not eat, drink, store food, smoke or apply cosmetics in the work area Except in clearly marked clean areas.
- First aid and self-help measure should be displayed at the clear visible places.
- Providing Fire extinguisher around the chemical handling areas.
- Never allowed to work alone when hazards chemical is involved.
Know the location of emergency types of equipment like:
- First aid kit
- Fire alarm pull
- station emergency guide
- Fire extinguisher
Join our telegram group: Engramritkumar Telegram
Join our WhatsApp group: Engramritkumar WhatsApp
Today we have learned about Power Plant Safety-In Boiler, Oil Handling, and Chemical handling System. If I have missed something, kindly inform me through commenting. If you like this article, don’t forget to share it on social networks. Subscribe our website for more informative articles. Thanks for reading it. Thank you.